martes, 1 de noviembre de 2011

Exercise on The Tell-Tale Heart

THE TELL-TALE HEART
by Edgar Allan Poe
1843 





I can’t recall how the ______entered my mind; but once conceived, it haunted me day and night. I loved the old man. He never wronged me, never insulted me and desired ___________of him. It was his eye! Yes, his eye! He had the eye of a vulture. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran _____; and so by degrees, I decided to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of him forever.
Oh, you should have seen me! How wisely, with such force and ________ calculation I planned it! Every night, ____  __________, I turned the knob of his _______and opened it, so gently! Oh, you would have admired my cunning. I moved slowly, so slowly. When I was well inside the room, I let the light fall on the_______ _______, but it was closed. I was never kinder to the old man in that way before I killed him. Every morning, I boldly went into _____ ________and inquired after him:
-'Good morning, did you sleep _______?'
- 'I’m not bad, _________ _______, not bad.'
 'He suspected nothing.'
Upon the eighth night I was more than usually cautious. A watch's minute hand moves ________  __________than I did. Upon never before life I had the triumph of my powers.
It’s open.    -'Who's there?'     Wide open.        -'Who's there?'
I kept quite still in the___________. For an hour I didn’t move a muscle. He’s trying to comfort himself. The strait swells in his chest, and then I heard it, a dull quick ___________like a watch enveloping gun.  It increased my fury, as the beating of a drum draws the soldier into courage.
His eye would trouble me no more.
If took wise precautions for the disposal of the _________.
What have I to fear?
-'Sorry to disturb you Sir, but a___________’s reported a shriek.'
- 'Shriek?'      -' A shriek.'
-'Oh, that was my own nightmare, you see?'
- 'I see.'          -'Come in.'
I bade them search --search well. There was nothing to fear, no clues______________. I led them into his chamber. I bade them some tea.
-'Tea?'
-'It’d be very _________ Sir, thank you.'
- 'Two sugars, thank you.'
-'Oh, butterflies. I’ll write that down.'
-'The Virgin Mary.'
-'Here are the posters, another pomping folk.'
-' This candelabra is __________in dust but it’s been moved.'
-'Covered in dust.'   
- 'But moved.'
- 'But moved.' 
- 'Put that down.'
-'Please sit.'    
- 'Thank you.'
In the enthusiasm of confidence, in the wild audacity of my __________ triumph, I placed the chair above the spot beneath which the corpse laid.
-'How long have you lived here?'   -'______ _______, least.'-'And the gentleman?'
-'Oh yeah! He’s a widower, you see? He prefers lodgers rather than keep the house.'
-'Mister Hodge prefers to lodge?'  
-'Very nice place it is.'   
-'Aye, very nice.'
Suddenly a deep fatigue sweat over me.  My ________ began to ache, there was a ringing in my ears: it became more distinct. That tapping sound.
-'When did you say the gentleman left?'  
-'I didn’t say.'  
-'When did he leave then?'
-'Not sure.'   
-'You’re not sure?'   
-'I didn’t say.'
No doubt I grew pale; the sound increased -- what ________ I do? Was it possible they didn’t hear it?  'Sir?'. They mocked me. 'Nice tea'. Anything was more tolerable than this derision! It grew louder! And louder! And louder!
I admit it! I can’t stand this mock______ ______ _____. You are the villains for your deceit. I can’t stand it! It’s the beating of his hideous heart.
Thereby hangs my turn

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario